Rather than drone on about everything that has been completed since the last update (6 weeks ago, sorry for delay), I figured it would be better to show with a series of pictures. First off, here’s what the lot looked like after the existing structure had been completely removed and the rough grade was complete:
Bumble #17: Not roping off the two, big trees on the lot till too late. A lot of big machinery drove around on the lot and got very close to the tree trunks…I hope they didn’t damage the root systems of the trees before we got them cordoned off. Only time will tell…
Next, here’s a photo showing the footings that were dug and later filled with concrete to support the foundation:
I don’t have a shot of the poured footings, but here are a few pictures showing the progress on the foundation over the last week or so. You’ll notice we have brick on three sides of the home and then the front is concrete block, which will later be covered in stone:
They came back a few days ago to complete the steps which look really cool (I really like the cathedral style steps that wrap around):
After that, they completed the interior prep (lining the ground under the home in a very small small rock layer that helps with drainage):
Then they back-filled the foundation and began framing:
You can see the final grade of the home in this shot as well…they had to bring in some fill dirt to help with drainage on left side of the house. The floor joists are in and they should be laying the decking and beginning the first floor walls today. I’m really, really happy with how the home sits on the lot. It’s almost square in dimension (70′ x 70′ at it’s widest points) but the irregular symmetry of the foundation walls of the “keeping room” are going to look amazing when the walls go up.
In other news, we’ve selected our garage doors, front doors, exterior paint, and appliances. For the hardiboard siding, we decided to go with a slate blue color, trimmed out with an off white color:
The next big decision is to go to the cabinet makers shop to begin our making our selections. It’s a 4 hour meeting, so I hope we can make some serious progress in that time. This week also marks the first construction draw against our loan. Our builder has met the requirements for the first major milestone of completing the foundation, so the bank has asked for our approval to release the funds to the builder. I approved the request and a check was cut for my builder. A corresponding amount was added to my construction loan (e.g., if the prior loan amount was for $100k, and the first draw was for $20k, the new mortgage payment will be based on $120k). This goes on until after the sixth and final draw, when construction is complete, and we convert to a traditional 30 year mortgage.
Framing should be done in 2 weeks, so I expect to be able to post some great progress in the next post (which I promise will not be as delayed as this one).